My Favorite Winter Soup
I am a huge fan of cooking up a big pot of soup on a cold winter day, and this one really does the trick. This is by far my favorite soup recipe that I have made, and I’m sure you’ll all feel the same. It’s actually super easy and quick to make, which makes this a perfect dinner when you just get a craving for some soup. Without further ado, here is what you’re going to need:
- A large pot
- A Cutting board
- Spoon to stir & serve
- Liquid measuring cup
- Olive oil (small amount for onion)
- 1 Medium onion
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 10 Cups chicken broth
- 2 Cups water
- 28 oz. Can of peeled tomatoes (or boil and peel fresh tomatoes)
- 20 oz Package of tortellini (I used premed, 3 cheese filled but feel free to use homemade and any filling flavor!)
- 7 oz Fresh spinach
- 1 Tb. sugar
- Basil (to taste)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Wash fresh produce.
- Chop the onion, garlic and spinach. (I like to leave the spinach in a little bigger pieces because they cook down a lot)
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in the large pot and sauté the chopped onion.
- Sweat the onion until it is translucent and then add the garlic.
- Sauté for 1 more min until slightly browned.
- Add in all the liquid (broth and water), add the sugar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Break up the tomatoes with your hands to make bite size pieces and add them to the liquid with half of the sauce in their can.
- Cover, and let this come to a boil. (about 10-15 min)
- Add the tortellini and cook for instructed time on package. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped spinach, cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Tear up a few basil leaves (I don’t like much in this, it gets too strong) and stir them in.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese. Lots of it 🙂
And thats it! The whole meal probably takes about 40 minutes tops which I love! Whenever I make this recipe I know that I will have a ton left over from the first day, but it gets even better as it sits. I keep this in the fridge for up to 5 days but by then it’s gone anyway because it is so good! I will also say to be heavy on the salt and pepper because thats really the only seasoning going into this so don’t be afraid to go a little heavy there! Please let me know if you guys try this out, and how you like it! Thanks always for reading. See you tomorrow!
With Love, Taylor